ON THE SHOW:
Mike Florio (@profootballtalk) - PFT.com - 4:35
Chris Williams (@ChrisMWilliams), CycloneFanatic.com - 5:10
Marc Morehouse (@marcmorehouse), The Gazette - 5:35
CyHawk start time announced
Cyclone Football notes
Hawkeye Football notes
NFL offseason update
QUICK HIT: Iowa-ISU Start Time Announced
By Joe Quinn (@joequinnshow)
The CyHawk football matchup, 2013 edition, will kick at 5 PM CT, and be shown on the new Fox Sports 1 network across the country.
A few thoughts and observations:
- I doubt the 5 PM kick will swing the advantage one way or another. I saw a few tweets today indicating that the Hawks' rookie QB (whoever it will be) will face a tougher task playing "under the lights" at Jack Trice. I tend to disagree - the fact that the Hawks rookie QB will playing his first road game, and in an extremely hostile environment no less, will make it plenty difficult. Time of day doesn't matter in my mind.
- The cops in Ames hate this decision. Why? College kids will start tailgating at 6 AM regardless of the kick time. Last time I checked, 11 hours > 5 hours you'd get with an 11 AM kick. Thats 6 more hours to get smashed in the parking lot. You can do the math.
- Love that the game will be on the new Fox Sports 1. Fox seems to be going all-in on the new network, and it'll be fun to see just how well it takes off.
- Tim Fisher from TNT in the Morning made an interesting point on Twitter earlier today - with the game kicking at 5 PM, is Fox Sports 1 going to try and shift away from the traditional 11 AM, 2:30 PM, and 7 PM kickoffs? Something to ponder.
- Along with the CyHawk game time announcement came the news that ISU vs. UNI will be shown on Cyclones.tv (on Mediacom as a Cyclones.tv production), and that ISU vs. Texas will be on ESPN (as expected). The UNI broadcast will include a pre-game show on both Mediacom and the digital network. Much like FS1, I'll be interested to see how the Cyclones.tv platform on Mediacom takes off this season.