ON THE SHOW:
Jon Miller (@HawkeyeNation), HawkeyeNation.com - 4:20
Paul Allen (@PAKFANVikes), KFAN Minneapolis - 4:40
Zubin Mehenti, ESPN - 5:05
Brian Walton (@B_Walton), TheCardinalNation.com - 5:45
Iowa Hawkeyes news
Cardinals weekend preview
QUICK HIT: Joe's Preakness Picks
By Joe Quinn (@joequinnshow)
The second jewel in the Triple Crown takes to the track at Pimlico - the 138th running of the Preakness Stakes.
Just nine horses will take the gate, including Kentucky Derby winner Orb. Here's a few thoughts on the race, by horse:
1. Orb - Should win. Looked great leding up to the Derby, came out of the race in great shape, and had a solid workout at Belmont last week. Deserves to be the even money favorite.
2. Goldencents - hasn't taken a single step on a track since the Derby. A big red flag when I look at the race. I won't use him.
3. Titletown Five - has speed horse written all over him. He'll set the early pace, but don't count on him being around at the end.
4. Departing - ran a decent race against what I'd call a "weak" field in the Illinois Derby. Hasn't ran a race longer than 1 1/8th in his career. Also hasn't impressed me in works since last race (April 20th)
5. Mylute - fifth at the Derby. Probably a horse to use in the bottom half of tickets. Has only won 1 race in his career, all the way back in December. I'm just not convinced he can run with Orb.
6. Oxbow - was among those that got caught up in the insane pace in the Derby. I like this horse more than most - just went out way too fast and got bumped coming around the turn.
7. Will Take Charge - finished 8th in the Derby, but could have been a factor had he not checked up when another horse drifted in front of him. A horse to consider
8. Governor Charlie - Ran 1st against nobody in his last two races, and has never gone more than 1 1/8th. Only 3 career starts - I just don't see it.
9. Itsmyluckyday - Loved this horse in the Derby, and he was never a factor. Didn't look like he enjoyed running in the slop. Still, he's run good races in Florida in the past. Will have a jockey change this weekend, John Velazquez will pilot.
$2 Trifecta Wheel:
1 / 5,6,7,9 / 5,6,7,9
$2 Exacta Wheel:
1 / 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9